Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Bloglines, eh?

I didn't expect to like RSS. For some reason I envisioned stock quotes and other useless news taking over my desktop. But Bloglines, with its web-based interface, wasn't so bad. It was easy to choose some interesting blogs to subscribe to. I immediately found a book to recommend to the good folks in Youth Services, something about a brave pony with an artificial leg. Sadly, YS won't buy the book till I can write a favorable review of it. Since I don't plan to buy the book, this is an obstacle.

I tried a couple other ways to subscribe to blogs and podcasts. Sometimes the Bloglines tool worked well, sometimes not. As it turned out, copying and pasting the URL worked just fine. Internet Explorer 7 also makes it easy to subscribe to feeds. It kind of reminds me of uploading photos from my camera onto my computer. Three or four different software programs compete for the chance to do the uploading for me.

Speaking of anal retention, I'm not sure if I should feel guilty when opening my Bloglines page. If I were to derive personal enjoyment from one of the blogs, would that violate the County's internet access policy?

As far as library applications, I can't think of a way the library as an institution would benefit from RSS feeds. Obviously, individual librarians and paraprofessionals could use something like Bloglines to facilitate keeping abreast of what's happening in the library world.

BTW, is there a way to access my Bloglines page other than going to Bloglines and then logging on? Something instantaneous?

No comments: