Friday, May 23, 2008

Speaking of Technology

My younger brother emailed me that I should look into magicJack. This device uses your computer's broadband connection to make phone calls over the internet. The price was reasonable, and it has gotten some favorable reviews in magazine articles, so I gave it a try.

I first connected it to my laptop, which connects to the internet through a wireless home network. That didn't work so well. Tech support was friendly and tried to be helpful, but we both got exhausted. I'll do some googling, and try again.

Then I connected it to my desktop pc, which is connected to our DSL via an ethernet connection. (Why does an amorphous word like "ether" end up describing a hardwire connection?)

At any rate, it seems to work okay. The sound quality is a bit better than a typical cell phone (which isn't saying much). I don't necessarily see it replacing our landline, as I'm not sure I want to leave my PC running 24 hours a day. Still, it should be nice to have unlimited nationwide calls for a low flat rate.

No comments: