Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Lots of noodles

I spent some time looking through winners of the Web 2.0 Awards. Overall it was a bit disappointing. I enjoyed looking through the widgets, but didn't find any that really grabbed me.

My favorite site is oodle.com. I've used Craigslist a fair amount, and oodle is similar in listing classified advertisements for jobs, pets, cars, etc. The interface is easy to use. Since I had never heard of oodle, I assumed it would not have many listings. However, it collects listings from other web sites to expand its reach. For example, a search for pets pulled listings from the Palm Beach Post as well as some breed rescue organizations. A search for a riding lawn mower pulled an item being auctioned on ebay. There were thousands of personal ads pulled from various sites I was not familiar with. I don't have any idea how effective oodle is at aggregating these listings from other sites, but it's a nice idea.

I don't see many library applications for this site. Sometimes patrons ask for suggestions for web sites for finding employment, romance, etc. Oodle.com would be a site I could recommend.

No comments: