Thursday, June 19, 2008

Among the Technorati Illuminati, or not

The Technorati web site is designed to help us find other folks who are blathering on about "virtually" nothing on the WWW. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not.

I did manage to "claim" my blog so that Technorati is aware of it. Then I went back and added labels to my posts, so that my blog could be found via searches for tags. That didn't work, though. A search for one of my posts based on its tags yielded nothing. Likewise my keyword search for all of the blog posts that include Samuel Johnson and Alec Baldwin failed to bring up my post. The instructions for helping Technorati find labels for my blog posts were confusing. They did mention something about "Atom" so I clicked on the Atom link at the bottom of my blog. I tried that several times but got only error messages.

So far I can't say that Technorati would be especially useful to me. I don't mind reading intelligent political commentary from well-read liberals, but I'm not convinced that a keyword or tag search would help me locate these.

Searching for blogs that link to the library's home page yielded mostly dead links, a bit of a frustration, but understandable.

I did a tag search for web 2.0, narrowed it to English, and got lots of hits but little of interest. Clicking on the thumbnail of the hits I wanted to see yielded error messages. Clicking the URL, which was small and greyed out, sometimes did get me somewhere.

No comments: